Vietnamese Pickled Bean Sprout (Dua Gia)
- 4 ounces fresh Asian bean sprouts
- 2 ounces sliced thin carrots, 3 inches lengthwise
- 3 ounces sliced chives, trimmed and cut into 3 inches lengthwise
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Wash and prepare all vegetable ingredients (carrot, chives and Asian bean sprouts)
- In a separate large bowl, pour water then add salt, sugar and vinegar. Mix well
- Add all vegetables into the bowl. Leave it for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the part that soak in liquid mixture will get softer. Now, you need to use chopsticks or hands to mix the vegetables up side down, leave it for 20 more minutes.
- Transfer everything into a clear jar or container. For fermented vegetable, cover tightly and let stand at room temperature for about 24 hours before put in a fridge.
Vietnamese Pickled Mustard Greens (Dua Chua)
- 3 lb large head of Asian mustard greens
- 7 cups water
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. sugar
*Do not add vinegar, let it has natural sweet and sour taste.
- Break the mustard greens leaves apart and clean thoroughly under running water.
- Cut the leaves to desired size, about 1-2 inches pieces. Make sure wash carefully before drain them.
- Combine water, salt, and sugar in a pot and bring almost to a boil. Turn off heat and wait until water completely cools.
- Add all the vegetables into an empty jar or container, making sure everything is submerged. Leave your container at room temperature so it can pickle. Taste a piece every 24 hours until it gets sour enough for your taste, then transfer to the fridge.
Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi
- 3 large cucumbers (or 6 in small size)
- 1 cup sea salt
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 6 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 tbsp. Korean red chilies flakes
- 2 ounces sliced chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ounces thin slices carrot, use mandolin to slice carrot evenly
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Wash and cut cucumber into 3 inches long, then cut quarter it lengthwise (not all the way of cucumber, leave about 1 inch at the bottom)
- Soak cucumber with 3 cup hot water and 1 cup of sea salt. Leave it in hot water for 45 minutes. After that, take cucumbers out and soak in cold water to help keeping the crispness (20 minutes) then drain them.
- In separate bowl mix minced garlic, minced ginger, salt, sugar, sesame oil, red chillies flakes, fish sauce, carrot sliced and chives all together.Stuff carefully each cucumber with the filling, and try not to break them.
- Put all cucumbers in a jar, cover lid and leave in room temperature for at least one day before store in a fridge.
I really hope you enjoy those pickles recipes. Next time I will post banana flower salad recipe, please keep checking my blog for new easy-to-make recipes every week.
Happy Lunar New Year!
Chuc Mung Nam Moi!