“Steamed Layer mung bean cake is one of my favorite childhood snacks, and is a dessert cake for Vietnam, especially in the South. My grandmother used to call “Pig skin cake” and I still don’t why. Time has passed, maybe it fades away many things but I will never forget my memory of seeing my grandmother makes a layer mung bean cake for me back then. For a long time I haven’t tried any mung bean cake made my grandma since we are far apart half way around the world; but I am grateful that she is still alive and lives healthily in Vietnam. Today I made this steamed layer mung bean cake again to hope get back some memories of my dearest grandma”
- 2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 1/2 can coconut milk (1 can for Pandan flour batter, 1/2 can for mung bean mixture)
- Pandan extracts flour (or green food coloring)
- 1 cup and 3 tsp. of sugar (1 cup for Pandan flour batter, 3 tsp. for mung bean mixture)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup of dry mung bean
MUNG BEAN MIXTURE
1. Cook mung bean in a rice cooker.
2. Blend mung bean with 1/2 can of coconut milk and 3 tsp. of sugar in a food processor (I used Magic Bullet so I could clean easily after finishing)
PANDAN FLOUR BATTER
1. Sift the tapioca starch, rice flour, and salt in a bowl.
2. Add 1 cup of sugar and 1 can of coconut milk
3. Add 1 tsp. of green Pandan flavor (or you can use green food coloring)
4. Stir the mixture well
DIRECTIONS OF STEAMING LAYER CAKE
1. Put a non-stick container inside a steamer (or you can use a small bowl like me if you don’t have), cover lid for 2 minutes.
2. Pour first layer of Pandan flour batter into the non-stick container. Cover lid and wait for 2 minutes
3. Add a layer of mung bean on top of the Pandan layer. Cover lid and wait for 2 minutes
4. Then pour another layer of Pandan flour on top of the mung bean layer. Remember to cover lid
5. And continue do the same until the non-tick container is full filled.
- Make sure to let the non-tick container cool down before taking the Steamed Layer Mung Bean Cake out and cut.
- You can make a cup of hot tea or coffee while enjoying this delicious mung bean cake. Enjoy!!