Around 80’s people were still poor in Vietnam, my parents got married and had no choice but to lived in a very small house that they shared with others. They tried to save every single Dong (VND Vietnamese currency) to born me. Even though my parents didn’t have a lot of money at that time but they always tried to raise and support me in the best ways they could. I remember I didn’t have many toys, besides one big doll with blue hair and couple sets of cooking toys to play with other neighbour kids. The interesting thing was that my mom let me played with real foods, so we children always had tasty snacks every time gathering to play together. She made all various foods such as deep-fried banana patties, rainbow jelly, sweet and sour bon-bons, caramel sugar candies, hot sugar syrup tofu, coconut sticky rice cakes wrap in banana leaves, and much more including deep-fried shrimp on sweet potatoes nest. I am even still drooling every time think or talk about my yummy childhood foods…hmm, so why not travelling back in time with me to see how they were made!
Ingredients for batter:
1 cup rice flour
2 cups all purposed flour
3 cups water, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. sugar
2 beaten eggs
Ingredients for other things:
Shrimps, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. minced garlic
2 large sweet potatoes, vegetable oil to deep-fried
Vietnamese dipping fish sauce
- Combine all ingredients for the batter, mix well until smooth.
- Clean shrimps and season with pepper, salt, sugar and minced garlic
- Peel sweet potatoes skin, and then shred thinly. Rinse slightly under water. Put all shredded sweet potatoes into the batter mixture
- Pour oil into a saucepan, at high heat.
- Use a small size of bouillon spoon to scoop the batter, then pour gently into the hot oil. Use Chopsticks/ spoon/ tong to take a shrimp, press slightly on the top of the sweet potato mixture
- Deep friend for about 2-3 minutes then flip to the other side, continue frying until golden brown
- Serving with lettuce, herbs and dipping fish sauce
- Dipping Fish Sauce (chopstickspoon.wordpress.com)