As I said in last post, Lunar New Year is fast approaching in a couple of weeks, I planned to make a few traditional dishes to celebrate Tết. Mứt, candied fruits are sweet treats cannot be missed out on this big festival. I have decided to make dry candied grapefruits and pineapples for this year; I will show you how to make those yummy snacks today 🙂
Vietnamese Candied Pineapples (Mứt Thơm)
- 1 large pineapple, skin and “eyes” removed, cut into slices, about 0.5 inch each slice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (if your pineapple is too sour, use 1 cup brown sugar)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- After 15 minutes of cooking, add vanilla and lemon juice in the pot. Use chopsticks or tongs to turns pineapple pieces up side down to make sure they all coat sugar evenly.
- Let it simmer until there is no more liquid in the pot.
- Take those pineapple slices out and place nicely on baking trays at 200 degree for 1 hour
- Put those candied pineapples into a clear jar, cover lid at cool temperature or in a fridge.
Now you have tasty sweet-sour candied pineapples, you can serve to family and guests at any time, or just enjoy them by yourself with a cup of hot beverage; guarantee you will love it!
Vietnamese Candied Grapefruits (Mứt Bưởi)
- 1 large Asian white grapefruits (or 3 small red grapefruits)
- 1 cup pure honey
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup wine (optional, any kind)
- Peel grapefruits skins and place in a cooking pot filled with water.Bring to boil
- Repeat step 2 three more times
- Soak grapefruit skins to salted cold water (3 cups water + 1/2 cup salt). Leave it soak over night.
- On the next day, cook again grapefruit skins with water, bring to boil to completely remove the bitter taste. Dump water out and drain the skins
- Cut grapefruit skins into thin slices, 4 inches lengthwise
- Add into a cooking pot 1 cup of fresh grapefruit juice, fresh orange juice, 1 cup pure honey, 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla and grapefruit slices at medium-low heat. Cook until there is no more liquid in the pot.
- Add 1 cup sugar powder into a zip-lock plastic bag, put all grapefruit slices in, zip the bag and shake it up side down to make sure coat evenly sugar on the grapefruits.
- Take grapefruit slices out and place nicely in an empty clear jar. Cover tightly with lid and store at a cool place.
Happy Lunar New Year!
Chuc Mung Nam Moi!